Region Ten Begins Executive Director Recruitment
Region Ten is beginning its recruitment for the position of Executive Director. With the retirement of Robert Johnson later in the year, the Personnel Committee of the Region Ten board is beginning its search for a replacement.
Posting Information for Community Services Board Executive Director
Region Ten Community Services Board (RTCSB), which provides community-based services for individuals with mental illnesses, substance use disorders, or developmental disabilities, is seeking a dynamic, highly-qualified professional to serve as its Executive Director. RTCSB provides services to the City of Charlottesville, Virginia, and the surrounding counties of Albemarle, Green, Fluvanna, Nelson and Louisa. RTCSB has an operating budget of $39.8 million, and employs over 600 staff. The Executive Director is directly accountable and responsible to the RTCSB Board of Directors and provides overall leadership and professional direction of its mental health, developmental, and substance use disorder services and all administrative operations. The Executive Director is employed under an annually renewable contract with a 14 member Board of Directors, serves at the pleasure of the Board, and is evaluated annually by the Board.
Qualifications: Applicants must have demonstrated knowledge, skills, abilities, and experience in the following areas.
- Education: An undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university in social work, psychology, rehabilitation counseling, or another human services-related field or in business, public, hospital, or healthcare administration or another management-related field is required. Comparable related experience may substitute for education. A graduate degree in one of these fields is preferred.
- Board of Directors Experience: Some (e.g., two-five years) experience in reporting directly to a board of directors or other governing body structure that has policy, operational, and fiduciary responsibilities or to the person who reports to the board of directors is required. Considerable (e.g., six-10 years) experience in reporting directly to a board of directors composed of citizen members that has policy, operational, and fiduciary responsibilities and hires its executive director who serves at the pleasure of the boards is preferred.
- Leadership: Considerable (e.g., six-10 years) experience in leading public or private organizations with functions and responsibilities that are similar or comparable to RTCSB, including experience at smaller similar or comparable organizations or smaller units in larger organizations is required. Extensive (e.g., more than 10 years) experience in leading public or private organizations with functions and responsibilities that are similar to RTCSB and are comparable in size (budget and employees) is preferred. The ability to provide effective leadership and inspire others by example to achieve the mission and vision of the organization, to supervise and elicit superior performance from senior managers and administrators, and to maintain high levels of employee engagement within the agency is required. The ability to respond to changing circumstances, manage organizational and financial risk, and adapt during periods of transition and uncertainty is required.
- Service Delivery: Some demonstrated knowledge of mental health, developmental, and substance use disorder programs and services is required. Considerable demonstrated knowledge of these services and ability to provide clinical or programmatic oversight of these services is preferred. Some demonstrated knowledge of the concepts of, and experience in, applying the concepts of recovery, self-determination, or person-centered planning as they relate to mental health, developmental, or substance use disorder services and the provision of services to individuals with co-occurring disorders is preferred.
- Management and Administration: Considerable demonstrated knowledge of the principles and practices of human services administration, business administration, or government program administration and of human resources management and financial management, including budgeting, resource allocation, contract management, monitoring, and auditing is required. Skills in formulating policies, developing and administering budgets, negotiating and administering contracts, formulating program plans with goals and objectives, preparing and presenting reports and budget requests, and conducting effective community and public relations are required. Commitment to seeking grants and other alternate funding sources is preferred.
- Constituent Relationships: Some (e.g., two-five years) experience in working with a broad range of constituents including individuals, family members, and advocacy groups in the mental health, developmental, or substance use disorder services areas or a similar or related human services field is required.
- Collaborative Relationships: Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain collaborative and supportive relationships with federal, state and local government officials, individuals receiving services and family members, and advocacy groups is required. Demonstrated ability to build collaborative and supportive relationships with other public and private providers and advocacy groups is preferred. Demonstrated ability to communicate persuasively and concisely, orally, in writing, and electronically, with a broad range of individuals, groups, and organizations is required.
- Laws and Regulations: Demonstrated ability to interpret, communicate and administer current federal and state laws, regulations, and policies that apply to mental health, developmental, and substance use disorder services is required.
- Planning, Evaluation, and Human Rights: Some demonstrated knowledge of planning, evaluation, and quality improvement methodologies and human rights requirements and issues is required, and considerable demonstrated knowledge is preferred. Ability to plan and implement services and related procedures and evaluate their effectiveness is required.
The application and a complete advertisement and job description are available at www.regionten.org. Applicants must submit a completed RTCSB employment application, detailed resume, salary history, and cover letter outlining his or her interest in and qualifications for this position. If the application does not include a cover letter, detailed resume, and salary history; it is not complete and will not be accepted. The salary for this position is commensurate with qualifications and experience. RTCSB provides an attractive benefits package. The Executive Director shall maintain a fixed, permanent, and primary residence within the area served by RTCSB during his or her tenure. RTCSB is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug-Free Workplace committed to workforce diversity.
Further inquiries should be addressed to Amy Downey, Director of Human Resources, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 434-972-1725. Region Ten Community Services Board 500 Old Lynchburg Road Charlottesville, VA 22903
Deadline To Apply: Deadline to apply is April 7, 2017